apps-gnustep

A little help for GWorkspace

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: A little help for GWorkspace
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:12:49 +0200 (EET)

Two problems:

1)
I need a solution to get GWorkspace informed about the file system
changes happened consequently to external actions (bash commands, files
coming with ftp, tmp files, etc...).

A NSTimer to reread the contents of all the column of the browser is too
time-consuming.

I'm wondering about using poll() or select() on the mount point fd of the
partitions.
But, how can I also know which files have changed ?

Would it be possible, instead of poll(), a solution based on some method
from NSFileHandle ?

2)
The worst GWorkspace's bug is that if you copy, move, delete,
somethings a few times, it dies.

GWorkspace, to perform these operations asynchronously, uses a tool,
"backgrounder". The communication GWorkspace and the tool happens through
two NSPipe.

Consider that this communication is complex; it involves advices to
bring-up alert panels, error messages, actions to take when the pause,
resume and stop buttons are pressed, a string with the currently
processded path to let GWorkspace update the Processes Panel, etc...

Till now, I've let this problem almost not solved.

But now, if the Window Maker focusing problems will be fixed, GWorkspace
become a really usable application (actually I'm the only user, I think
:-) ), and the backgrounder bugs must be fixed.

Can somebody take a look to the code and give me a little help?
The code is in FileOperation.m and in backgrounder/backgounder.m.

  Ciao,
    Enrico