alsa-xmms-user

Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Is this thing on?

From: Larry Alkoff
Subject: Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Is this thing on?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:58:40 -0500

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:37:37 -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:

>"Larry Alkoff" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've been posting on the xmms web forum but sometimes the answers are sparse.
>
>Ah.
>
>> Example:  No answers at all to the question about xmms mailing lists.
>
>AFAICT, the only mailing lists (on lists.xmms.org) are for developers,
>and users are supposed to stick to the forum.

I had no way to know that.
There are 8 divisions on the forum one of which is for the developers
but AFAIK this is the only other mailing list of any kind.

>> Example:  No answers at all to how do I insert a comment into ~/.xmms/config
>
>If you want xmms to preserve it when it writes the file back out, your
>best bet is probably to pass your comments off as entries in a dummy
>section.

I hate programs that write to the config files unless I ask them to.
I'll try a [dummy] section.
I heavily comment my scripts and /etc files both to remember my understanding
of what's going on
and to put a header
# lba: name_of_prog   description
so I can grep all the "lba:" and  zip or tar up those files I have edited and
save them automatically
as one big file of my customizations.

>[Off-topic ham-related discussion taken off-list.]

The only messages "on list" since mid-March have been yours and Kalin Kozhuha
who also responded to my "is this thing on" message.
I only just set my filters to move messages from the inbox to xmms since yours
was the first I had to use as a template.
I'd love it if there were some people to complain about off-topic bandwidth -
maybe they all lurk.

>> Are you both knowledgeable and receptive to xmms questions?
>
>Somewhat, and somewhat...I don't run it much nowadays, but I
>maintained the Debian package of alsa-xmms pre-merge.

There were discussions between Patrick Volkerding who controls Slackware and
the Debian guys
to allow apt to install on Slackware but unfortunately it went nowhere.

On Slack everything gets untarred and usually compiled.  No one uses rpms
and apt doesn't work.  My biggest gripe about Slack but otherwise I love it for
the simplicity and stability.

>> I have setup an MP3 server using Slackware 9.1 that will live in the
>> basement.
>> I ssh in to the basement computer and display xmms on my office computer but
>> it sure makes the network busy.
>> Is there a better way?
>
>You could use something along the lines of mc-foo, moosic, or gronk.

I just looked at those and will consider them.
Also considering tinyVNC or just running remote using ssh but turning off the
graphic equalizer display and maybe the title scroll.

73, Larry

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX