advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Web-based Theora video transcoding / hosting?

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Web-based Theora video transcoding / hosting?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:41:11 +0100

I've been meaning for a while to work on software to run a website (or
part of a website) which lets users upload video, and transcodes it into
Ogg Theora and optionally Flash. This would let people see Theora if
they wanted to (and this could be the default) but would also permit a
(lower quality?) Flash version for people who haven't yet made the
switch.

Part of the reason that Flash is the entrenched format for video on the
web is that it is simple for users to produce content in that format,
using YouTube or Google Video or similar. When I've tried to convince
organisations to use Theora (even in addition to rather than instead of
Flash) I've been told that it's too difficult. I figure that a site like
this would remove that obstacle.

What do people think?

Dave
--