traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Reports about latest CVS

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Reports about latest CVS
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:52:10 +0200

> So, I have now tried out the latest CVS version. It's very nice! A lot
> has happened to make traverso more usable and stable. Great work!

Great!

And thanks, but as you mention we're not there yet...

> Here's some bug-reports/questions/thoughts/suggestions... =)

OK, most of them are known, allready in the bug tracker or internal todo list,
but I'll comment on them anyways, so other people can jump in to discuss the
matters.

> * It seems pan [P] doesn't work as it should when the pan value is <=
> 0.0, the pan gots stuck and doesn't go all the way.

I only noticed this when using left mouse button on the pan slider. But the
problem is known (well, half known lol).

> * If you do a fade on a clip and then split another clip, it creates a
> similar fade on the new clip by itself!

Yes, there is an entry in the bug tracker, you could add comments there on
possible solution, behavior, what you prefer, and so on.

> * Snap is quite strange and hard to use, I think it snaps too much.
> There's another way to do snapping: instead of the object beeing "drawn"
> to the snap destination, it can "stick" to it so that you need to drag N
> pixels beyond the snap destination to get it "loose", and then the snap
> threshold is subtracted from the mouse position so even then you can
> position an object just some pixel next to the snap position if you want.

Strange, it (should) work(s) like you describe, however, if you have many
clips and/or markers (and thus many snap points) it can act less smooth, also
due all clips in the vertical range are taken into account currently, not
only the visible ones.
But perhaps I miss the point hehe.

> * What is the work cursor used for?

Used to center zooming at, < W > moves the playhead to the workcursor.

> * Perhaps the < X > split command should use the work cursor instead of
> the current mouse pointer?

Has been suggested before iirc, but I'm not completely sure about it.
Perhaps a [ X ] should be created to be able to snap to a position and then do
a split ?
[ X ] then also will show the position like moving the payhead and
workcursor...

> * Copy and move and stuff like that should work on multiple clips if
> more than one clip is selected

Yes...

> * It would be useful with a rectangle-selection box to select multiple
> clips without having to point at every one and add them to the selection.

Indeed

> * What about << R >> to remove a clip? now I need to first select it and
> then delete all selected clips.

Also on the todo list, the idea is to only remove the clip you do << R >> on,
and if it is in a selection, to not remove the selection of clips...

> * Plugs should always be visible at the left of the current visible part
> of the track, so you don't need to scroll back to the beginning to see
> them.

Correct, needs some thinking how to most easily get that working.

> * I guess dragging plugs to change their order, and creating curves for
> their parameters will come later? =)

Haha, welcome to the team :-P

> * Plug settings window should have the track name in the titlebar so you
> know the difference if you have many open of the same plug type. perhaps
> also some way of differentiating between same plugtypes on same track
> (numbers?)

Could you add this one to the bugtracker please?
We've discussed this before, good you remind me of it, since I planned to have
only one Plugin edit window open at any time right now lol

> * I would love a way to export only part of a song, perhaps using
> markers? (When markers can have labels, one could just choose between
> which markers should be used when exporting)

Would be lovely indeed, need to think about this one a bit.
My last idea is to have the export routine to have a list of clips, so one can
export a range of clips or just one in one go, with a start and end
position...

> * Export fileformat settings, often you want to work with higher
> bitresolution (and perhaps freq too) but export to 16 bit 44.1KHz, or 24
> bit 48KHz, etc.. Note that this would need good quality SR conversion
> and dithering, etc..

Not sure what you mean here. The export dialog gives you these options
allready ?

Thanks for your feedback!
(and if you happen to have some spare time hehe)

Regards

Remon