traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:55:10 +0200

Hi Remon,

> But if you like to see Traverso working and usable on Windows too, let me
> know please! (and patches are accepted ;-) )

I strongly advocate a Windows port of Traverso. This may sound odd, because I'm
a hardcore linux fan ;-) but from the users point of view it would be very
convenient. I always maintain Windows and OS X ports of my applications, and I
try to keep them as up-to-date and feature-rich as the linux version, although
I hardly use them myself. In my experience, most users start using my programs
on Windows or OS X and are positively surprised to find them working on linux
as well, once they consider a switch. So if the effort is justifiable, let's do
it.

You mentioned having problems with the mouse grabbing. I have a suggestion
which may resolve the problem (... or not). For certain [x] actions I realised
that reaching the edge of the screen with the mouse cursor forces me to return
to the widget to continue the drag (e.g. for very long fades). However, if the
mouse cursor would actually retain it's position during the action, there would
be no limiting factor. In that case, the cursor would not move out of the
widget, and grabbing it would no longer be required. So what you would have to
do is catch the change in coordinates without changing the position of the
cursor.

Do you understand what I mean? There are programs acting like this, but I can't
remember any at the moment. It's probably a 3D software I have in mind (would
be Lightwave, the only one I know). To move or rotate a scene, you click on a
button and move the mouse, but the cursor stays on the button all the time. Not
only is the motion not limited by the screen, but the cursor is at the same
place you placed it once you stop the action.

What do you think of that?

Regards,
Nic