tinycc-devel

Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re : Calling for Release 0.10.0

From: Fred van Kempen
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re : Calling for Release 0.10.0
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 01:03:40 +0000 (UTC)

> Yes, the last patch is ugly and should be removed or fixed
> (path is created with alloca and later overwritten with malloc),
Fixed just now, removed the malloc.

> and that patch is only used as fallback,
> when CONFIG_TCCDIR is undefined.
... which makes sense on Windows systems where not all code is
constantly re-compiled and/or re-configured when running it on
multiple systems and/or platforms.  A 7-line patch to accomodate
that doesn't seem ugly to me.

> For memory leaks from malloc, which are only freed at program shutdown:
> A design decision is not a bug.
Correct. That said, it's gone now.

TCC has a *lot* of ugly code, but hey, it (sortof) works.

> For using an object format, with is not the same, what most other compiler
>use on that system:
Well, that is mostly a side-effect of using gnu/unix/linux based code on a
windows machine.  There is nothing wrong with using ELF as the internal
format, as long as we can generate PE (or Mach-O, or whatever) for the
final output.

Yes, it could be *nice* if TCC could also deal with other formats for any
platform, but that would add a lot (more) code to it.

Fred