tinycc-devel

[Tinycc-devel] Re : Re: Re : Calling for Release 0.10.0

From: david . koch
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Re : Re: Re : Calling for Release 0.10.0
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 00:05:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Detlef,

I don't care about the "simplicity" of tcc and its supposed goal not to compete
with larger and more established compilers like gcc or clang.

Tcc still have to be reliable and not falling on simple corner cases because
someone decided to push a patch on the mob branch, requiring someone else to
remove it.

I'd like tcc not to be considered just a "quick hack" or a "toy compiler" due
to its inherent simplicity, it still have to produce correct and reliable code.

Especially since its internals are so "simple", there is no reason tcc couldn't
be thoroughly tested and stabilized orthogonally across all supported
architectures.

It's been more than 5 years since the last "stable" release, I'd like the next
one to be as much "reliable" despite the mob branch will still remain the Wild
Wide West of salvage patches.

Experimenting is one thing, but regarding the last few months of adventurous
code modifications and group discussions, I would NOT bet on just numbering the
current state as being the new 0.10.0.

Let's do a feature freeze first, a comparison checklist with other compilers,
supporting common flags and attributes, producing correct binary files
(Windows, Linux, Mac, ...).

Then after a few release candidates, maybe only we could decide the last RC to
be worthwhile enough to get released with the new official 0.10.0 tags that we
could feel proud of.

Until then tcc:mob will just remain a nerd's joke and a geek's playground that
only a few insiders can really use it after great hacking to get it to work
almost like expected.

Our view on tcc may diverge, but rest assured I like it anyway, I just would
like it to be treated more fairly and professionally than its original legacy.

Thank you all for putting all such time and passion into its maintenance.

Regards.