Re: [Swftools-common] swftools on OS X

From: Ryan Harris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] swftools on OS X
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:34:24 +0000 (UTC)

Chris <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:33:20 +0200
> Clemens Kofler <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hey Chris,
> >
> > thanks for trying to help.
>
> > I'm also kind of ruling out Homebrew as the bad buy because as I've
>indicated I've also tried compiling it
> manually, i.e. cloning the git >repository and then running configure and
make. It fails when trying to
> >patch things (i.e. running the inject-xpdf.pl script) because the
required >patches are not there. If I
> manually copy the patches there, the patch >stage is successful but make
aborts later (I'd have to
> doublecheck on the >error but it was also xpdf-related).
>
> Knowing the specific error may give a clue.  I have to say I've not tried
> the latest Git. Will do it later when I get a spare moment or two. See
what
> happens ( this'll be under Linux ).
>
> You could also try one or more of the following configure options, see if
> they give you more clues,
>
>   --enable-checkmem       turn on ccmalloc debugging
>   --enable-debug          turn on debugging
>   --enable-profiling      turn on profiling
>   --enable-warnings       turn on compiler warnings
>
> > > - the original source code version of 0.9.1?
> >
> > 0.9.1 compiles just fine but segfaults in both cases, when compiled
> > manually or via Homebrew.
>
> In which case it"s not Homebrew. Could easily be an errant library though.
> By the way, when you say 'segfaults in both cases', I take it you mean
only
> the resulting pdf2swf binary, and not any of the other tools?
>
> Have you also checked the mailing list archives?
>
>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/
>
> > Thanks anyway!
>
> Welcome.
>
> > Maybe someone else will chime in, yes.
>
> Chris.

I also uses SWFTools -- specifically, "pdf2swf" -- to generate Shockwave
renditions of PDF documents for document previews. If you're using HomeBrew
to manage packages, and you run the following command, you might run into
some problems:

?
1
$ brew install -v swftools
Namely, the "pdf2swf" command (among others) will not be installed due to
some missing dependencies. This is most noticable when installing SWFTools
on a clean system. To fix this, install the following packages prior to
attempting the above command:

?
1
$ brew install freetext libjpeg giflib swftools
This should result in a clean build of SWFTools with the pdf2swf command
available in your path and for use with Alfresco.

As for swf transcode, i find some tips on http://www.swftomovmac.com/