[Swftools-common] Conversion issues

From: Craig Martin
Subject: [Swftools-common] Conversion issues
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:47:23 +0000

I am working with the PDF2SWF tool and have found a few issues that I would love to get resolved if anyone knows how:

1)    Regarding type of files that had issues, we found errors with files having transparency groups and we had to use the additional parameter "-s poly2bitmap" to generate the SWF. The types of errors that were encountered were:

a.    “badly balanced softmasks/transparency groups”

b.    "multiply blended transparency groups not yet supported"

c.     This file is too complex to render- SWF only supports 65536 shapes at once (this was already taken care previously)

2)    For both these errors, we did a re-run with the additional parameter "-s poly2bitmap" (through the supported fall back mechanism in the code). However, using this parameter has the following disadvantages:

a.    This consumes lot of memory .

b.    Takes a lot of time to process.

c.     Consumes lot of CPU – sometimes 100%.

d.    There is no guarantee that the SWF will get generated with this parameter. For some files the SWF got generated but for some it did not generate the SWF.

e.    In case of errors/issues, multiple instances get created of the exe even if they are killed.

3)    We also found that SWFs cannot be generated if a PDF is password protected.

4)    PDFs that are generated using third party software and  are not well formed also might fail

If anyone can help resolve these issues that would be great!!
Thanks
Craig