Re: [Swftools-common] interesting challenge, willing to pay for a soluti

From: Michael Geary
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] interesting challenge, willing to pay for a solution
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:39:50 -0700

hi Chris, et al,

If a solution could be provided by customizing the source of
swftools, i'm willing to pay someone to do that, assuming it
doesn't exceed my budget.

There's a lot of source customisation going on out there. A small
donation to the project might prompt someone? ;o)

i'm certainly game. I stand to save a lot of time if I can get swftools to do what i need. However, i suspect Matthias is fairly busy, and i know others here are more comfortable than I am in modifying the source code, so i'm interested in applying the funds where they will have the greatest effect.

I need to produce one swf per page, which i know i can do, but I
also need all the *text* on the page to be placed into a named
movieclip. I need the ability at runtime to toggle the
visibility of the text.

Had you thought of simply masking the text?  May just be the
simpler option.  Presumably you'd wish to retain the original
font?

i'm certainly up for masking it. Yes, i'd want to retain the original font and appearance. I'm not sure how to set up the mask, though...

That is, when i turn off the visibility of the text on the page, > we don't want to hide the page numbers.

I can't see a reason why that should need to happen.

I'm open to all kinds of solutions. For example, one thing i
thought of was to use the "-s textonly" parameter to create a series of SWFs without the pictures..

Maybe an example of what you are trying to do would be the order
of the say?

a representative page is here: http://166.70.44.53/dev/mg/sample_page.png. I want to be able to hide the story text, while preserving the page number

On a related note, is there some resource where all the
possible parameters for the -s flag? i looked at -s help, but
didn't see "textonly", so i don't know if there are other hidden > gems...

Other than the wiki version, which is very probably outdated?
Possibly!

pdf2swf -s textonly is apparently in the development sources:

 http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2010-12/msg00044.html

I've not tested it myself.  Text extraction would very much depend
on how the PDFs and the resulting SWFs were rendered in the first
place though. You haven't said.

the PDFs are from InDesign, but i don't need text extraction. The -s textonly does indeed work on my local version. What i would presumably need is a corresponding parameter that allows me to *discard* all the text (except, ideally, the page numbers! <grin> )

Hope that provides more information. Thanks for your interest and response,

michael