[Swftools-common] interesting challenge, willing to pay for a solution

From: Michael Geary
Subject: [Swftools-common] interesting challenge, willing to pay for a solution
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:26:02 -0700

hi folks,

i'm in one of those cases where swftools gets me *really* close to a solution,
but i have some unusual requirements that interfere. It's entirely possible
that what i need isn't really possible, but you guys have already demonstrated
some things with swftools that I wouldn't have thought possible, so i'm putting
this out there. If a solution could be provided by customizing the source of
swftools, i'm willing to pay someone to do that, assuming it doesn't exceed my
budget.

Here's the situation: I have several PDF books that i'm turning into SWFs. They
are children's books, so for the most part, there's a full-page graphic with a
couple of text fields on top of it. I need to produce one swf per page, which i
know i can do, but I also need all the *text* on the page to be placed into a
named movieclip. I need the ability at runtime to toggle the visibility of the
text.

Unfortunately, it actually goes even one step further. In the lower left and
right-hand corners there are page numbers. These text instances should *not* be
included in the movieclip that contains the rest of the text on the page. That
is, when i turn off the visibility of the text on the page, we don't want to
hide the page numbers.

I'm open to all kinds of solutions. For example, one thing i thought of was to
use the "-s textonly" parameter to create a series of SWFs without the
pictures, and then (if it exists) run some sort of "-s notext" parameter to get
a version without any text, and then use swfc to combine the two while giving
the text a movieclip name. However, i don't know of any such parameter.
Furthermore, this doesn't solve my problem with the page numbers, though it
might get me far enough that I could do some manual post-processing and still
be time ahead.

 On a related note, is there some resource where all the possible parameters
for the -s flag? i looked at -s help, but didn't see "textonly", so i don't
know if there are other hidden gems...

many thanks,

michael