Re: [Swftools-common] Licensing issue with GPL

From: Mohamed El Morabity
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Licensing issue with GPL
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:18:13 +0100

> Yes you did. Apologies are in order there, because I misread that
> bit. However, pdf2pdf is ( ttbomlk ), not part of swftools dist.

$ tar -tf swftools-0.9.1.tar.gz | grep -i pdf2pdf
   swftools-0.9.1/src/pdf2pdf.1
   swftools-0.9.1/src/pdf2pdf.c
Unless you mean that pdf2pdf is not supported by the dev team?

> The other off-the-cuff thought is, does including pdflib support
> actually fit in with the ethos of fedora itself?
In fact pdfib is part of a third-party repository for Fedora, RPM
Fusion, which provides packages that Fedora can't officially
distribute because of license issues (MP3 support is concerned also,
because it is patented in the US). This is by the way why I submit my
package to RPM Fusion, I hope it's not a kind of "pedantism" to bring
at least MP3 support in swftools ^^.
Anyway pdflib is free for non-commercial use only... And I just
realize that enabling it in swftools is stupid: swftools has no reason
to be restricted to non-commercial usages, by legacy, too, after all.

It confirms the inanity to compile swftools with pdflib for a wide
distribution. Sorry again for all this trouble ^^'