Re: [Swftools-common] Licensing issue with GPL

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Licensing issue with GPL
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 19:50:56 +0100

>On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:13:30 +0100
>Mohamed El Morabity <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well... pdflib is an optionnal dependency of swftools, required
> to build the pdf2pdf binary. And as I said above, I'd like to
> enable as many features as possible in my builds.

With all due respect, isn't this simply a case of unnecessary
pedantism? ;o)

pdflib is not a mandatory dependency for building/using pdf2swf.
Linking against it is OPTIONAL, and a choice made at compile time.
If the installer finds it, it links against it.

Should you make a personal choice to link against the library, for
whatever reason, then as Matthias has stated, if you are packaging
binaries there is no case to answer.  Let the end user deal with
it.

Maybe a conscious decision should be made, not to link swftools
against any software or library that isn't covered by the GPL?   There are
several suitable alternatives out there.  Maybe they
should be given due consideration instead?

Regards,

Chris.