Re: [Swftools-common] GCC error while building Python bindings

From: Jamie Begin
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] GCC error while building Python bindings
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:20:35 -0400

Ricardo,

Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to mention that I'm using Python 2.6 compiled from source.  After creating a symlink to the Python headers, ./configure now finds it.  Though it doesn't seem to have helped any.  In fact, I've resolved all the missing library messages and am still stuck with the same GCC error.

I just want to clarify that building swftools itself works fine.  I've been using the command line tools to convert PDFs to SWFs without incident.  The problem is that "python ./setup.py build" seems to choke on "lib/pdf/xpdf/gfile.h:134: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘DIR’ with no type"

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Ricardo Pedroso <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Jamie Begin <address@hidden> wrote:
> I posted a couple days ago about the build failing when compiling the Python
> bindings due to a missing "lib/art" directory.  I didn't realize that I had
> grabbed the development version rather than the stable release.  The release
> version apparently does have the directory, so that problem is resolved.
> However I have a new one...  I'm running into the same problem mentioned in
> this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg04229.html  (which
> is that the build errors out).
>
> My config.log: http://pastebin.com/UmWYJrgm

Looking to your config.log  it's seems that you have some missing libraries.

address@hidden:~/tmp$ grep "cannot find" config.log
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lungif
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgif
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfontconfig
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmp3lame

GL, GLU and glut are not necessary.
mp3lame is optional, I think
The others, I think, they all are necessary to build swftools

You have also this 2 lines in config.log:
configure:9944: checking for Python.h
configure:10070: result: nope

If you want to build the python module you need python devel package.

Search in your distro repository if you have the development packages
for those above.
It's seems that you are using redhat or some redhat based disto, if
so, try to search for "package"-devel
and install them, eg:
yum search python-devel
yum install python-devel