Re: [Swftools-common] highlight links (not on hover)

From: Douglas Miller
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] highlight links (not on hover)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:46:53 -0600

Just adding these posts to the mailing list, I forgot to hit reply all and was only communicating with Matt.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM, matt cline <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Doug,
thank you for your feedback.  I do not hold pages in memory.  I hold-preload 5 pages in advance, 6 pages behind and dump the rest.  Take a look at task manager, I think I rival any of the flippers out there as far as resource/memory consumption. I will add the full screen capability soon and take into consideration your other recommendations. Thank you.

Matt,

I can't imagine why these other viewers don't take memory management into consideration. I could tell that you had some sort of garbage collection in place from the speed when I started getting into page 100+. I also saw the preLoad option in the pages.xml file, a great option.

I feel rather dumb as I just made the connection about the thumbs up icon and the thumbnail views...doh. Would you consider adding an option in the xml that disables the thumbnail view feature? I know that personally, I wouldn't want to generate the thumbnails and the feature doesn't degrade well when the thumbs folder, swf, and xml file aren't present. Perhaps an enableThumbs attribute in the content tag of the pages.xml file.

Perhaps another option for the pages.xml file would be to specify a large option. I noticed that currently your zoom feature loads a new swf file. The zoom feature degrades well when the large files aren't present with the exception of a '0%' in the view to indicate the loading progress. I would suggest to either add an attribute to the page tag that is a boolean value: <page src="" hasLarge='0' /> and use the default file locations, or add an attribute to the page tag that specified the large image: <page src="" large='pages/large/pagename.
swf' /> This would allow the user to not have a larger version and just have the viewer zoom in on the current swf as it currently does.

I scraped what I could off of your demo page and ran a link enabled test through and it appears to work well. Here is the demo: http://douglas-miller.com/flip/sample.html Unfortunately, the link in the top left corner doesn't work because of the button to control the page flip in the same corner. I would assume that there isn't much that can be done about that though as poorly placed links in the swf could render the page turn effect unusable other than the controls on the bottom toolbar.

Keep me posted on updates and I'll keep passing you my thoughts and suggestions, assuming that you want them.

-Doug