Re: [Swftools-common] wait for SWF to be ready

From: Ian Wilkinson
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] wait for SWF to be ready
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:17:47 +0000

Benedikt Quirmbach wrote:

Hi,

some weeks ago I opened a thread here about swfc.

I am still looking for a way to find out wether a SWF is completed.

I have a swf (library-swf) made in Flash.
I want to bring some variables into this swf.
To do that I use SWFC to create a new swf with the library-swf as background image.
In the first frame i introduce an actionscript with my varaibles.
In the library-swf is more actionscript that use this variables.

Hi Benedikt,

I'm from a background of 8 years using Flash with CGI, where our software loads variables thousands of times a day (but please excuse me if I've missed the point of your post).

If all you need is to pass data to php and get it (or other data) back, then you don't need to use SWFC at all.

If you use either the loadvariables(mc,...) command or the loadvariables object you can send changes via GET or POST and have the PHP send back the what you need it to at the same time.

The first time in just call the loadvariables to load what you need and have the php only save what's required when you pass it back out.

Don't be concerned that most of the documentation around loadvariables mentions XML, we don't use any XML in our application as it wastes so much bandwidth (5KB of data we found would be 50KB+ in XML).
Use variable=value and just escape the value.

so a typical string could be:-
&productCount=3&price0=500.00&name0=Self%20Sealing%20Stembolts&price1=25.00&name1=American%20Screwdriver&price2=0.03&name2=Screw&end=1&

If you don't use the object you need to know when all the data is loaded the end=1 does that for you (just set end=0 before calling loadvariables then loop over a couple of frames until end=1), you can leave that out if you use the object, however you should always add an extra ampersand on the end of the string so flash doesn't pick up and stray spaces or enters that the php might output after the data.

Sorry if I've missed the point of your post, if I have then please don't hesitate to expand your requirements and I'll help if I can!

Ian.
--
x10 via Web or Wap?
http://www.sgtwilko.f9.co.uk/bluelava/