[Swftools-common] external libraries carried in source

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: [Swftools-common] external libraries carried in source
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:08:15 +0200

Hello,

There are some external libraries in swftools source, at least gocr,
libart_lgpl and lame.

There also seems to be bladeenc, though it doesn't seems to be used by
anything.

And lastly there is xpdf.

I see 2 reasons why they could be here, to help the user avoiding to have to
install them and because they are patched, is there another reason?

Actually xpdf is patched.

Are the other (gocr, libart_lgpl and lame) patched?

Did I miss other in-source libraries?

I have checked that swftools build fine against the system libart_lgpl
but I haven't tested it (it is what is done in debian packaging too, so
I guess that it has received testing).

Could it be possible to have the possibility to compile against system
libraries? (I can do some autoconf/Makefile.in related work to have it
happen, but I don't want to force a design). Using system libs
(especially when they are shared) is practical for integration of
software, since the correction of a bug in the library is automatically
(in cas of shared lib) or easily (in case of static lib) propagated.

Also I think that it would be better to link against poppler instead of
xpdf. If there are things from xpdf that are needed and are not in
poppler, it may be possible to try to have them i poppler (texlive uses
an internal xpdf too, and what is needed was exported, certainly when
building poppler with --enable-xpdf-headers).

--
Pat