Re: [Swftools-common] A license question

From: Eric Wood
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] A license question
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:11:40 -0400

If your program simply makes function or system calls out to SWFtools then you're program source can be closed.  For the bits that you call, people can download those bits from swftools website to keep them happy.  If you compile the bits into your program (ie, static) *and* make changes to the functions of swftools specific code, then a license may require you to send that code upstream for project inclusion/consideration.  HOWEVER, most of the time, these changes into gpl'd program are so minute and so centric to the proprietary solution at hand that it doesn't make sense to contribute your code upstream.  It's usually house-keeping code and not code anybody would want wrapped inside swftools for general comsuption.

It's parallel to a open source media player being able to call closed source codecs.  Or closed source video drives being able to use the open source glibc function calls.  Just because bits shake hands doesn't mean to open source fever is viral.

If someone calls you out on it and accuses you of not sharing code ("HEY! You're Flash files rock, give me your code now!").  Then send them the a non statically compiled version of your program (as well as a link to swftools website) and let them try and decompile your program and see how far they get.

-eric wood