[Swftools-common] "viewport" problem when using pdf2swf

From: Le Tigre
Subject: [Swftools-common] "viewport" problem when using pdf2swf
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:58:35 +0100

Hi everyone,

I run a French alternative magazine named "le Tigre" (www.le-tigre.net)
and I want to let our visitors read our issues online, using a Flash
reader (the textual content is also of course available as HTML, but
since we are obsessed with layout and typography we also want to give a
very accurate graphical view of our paper issues).
We prefer free software (for example the whole paper magazine is made
using Scribus), and I'm trying to use swftools in combination with
fdviewer to generate the reader.

Unfortunately when trying to do this I get a very strange error message
about a "missing viewport". I tried to search the Web and the
mailing-list archives for similar errors and found nothing. I'm a bit
lost and would be glad to get some help.

Here is the error message I get when trying to generate the SWF reader:

$ pdf2swf -B fdviewer.swf LT017.pdf
NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to LT017.swf
NOTICE  Adding /usr/share/swftools/fonts to font directories
Creator:      pdftk 1.12 - www.pdftk.com
Producer:     itext-paulo (lowagie.com)[JDK1.1] - build 132
CreationDate: 20060911103815+01'00'
ModDate:      20060911103815+01'00'
Pages:        2
Linearized:   no
Encrypted:    no
NOTICE  processing PDF page 1 (595x841:0:0) (move:0:0)
NOTICE  file contains pbm pictures
NOTICE  file contains jpeg pictures
NOTICE  processing PDF page 2 (595x841:0:0) (move:0:0)
fix bad advance value: bbox=4636, advance=10240 (10240.000000)
NOTICE  SWF written
swfcombine  -X 595 -Y 841 "fdviewer.swf" viewport="LT017.swf" -o "LT017.swf"
WARNING Didn't find anything named viewport in file. No substitutions
will occur.

thanks in advance

Raphaƫl.

PS : I'm a complete Flash novice and I would like to know to what extent
it is possible to modify or customize the existing free PDF players like
fdviewer. I know some Flash artists and can ask one of them to draw a
player but I don't know how this can work together with pdf2swf.
If I manage to do this, the result will be released as open source.