Re: [Swftools-common] Information Request

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Information Request
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:32:43 +0200

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:18:11AM -0700, Jim Jones wrote:
>   So my questions are:
>
>   -Can I charge a fee and distribute my application?

Yes. However, make sure you always include the source
(the .tar.gz archive) of the pdf2swf version you distribute.
Simply put it on the CD, too.

> -Is licensing needed and if so can you provide details about this?

pdf2swf as well as the rest of the swftools package falls under the GPL.
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL

> -Would I need to GPL my entire application?

As you are only calling pdf2swf.exe via the command-line, what you are
doing counts as "mere aggregation":
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
.
So, no, you don't need to GPL you application as long as you are *only*
using that command line call.

Greetings

Matthias