Re: [Swftools-common] what's the best svg to swf method?

From: Michael Hansen
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] what's the best svg to swf method?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:41:15 +0200

This reminds me. Matthias is there a reason for the 'odd' implementation af shades i pdf2swf?

A simple shade box wih a size of approx. 1kb (pdf) is 'pumped-up'  to about 15kb!

Swf6 supports gradient fills, but an investigation of the bytecode reveals that the resulting swf is construct of a large amount (approx. 500)  of solid rectangles ontop of each other and in different shades.

I don't know if it's the 1.3 pdf forma, xpdf or swf2pdf that is the reason for this.

Any comments? :o)

Greetings
    -michael

On 8/10/05, Jacek Brzeski <address@hidden> wrote:
Matthias Kramm wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:25:39PM +0200, Jacek Brzeski wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking about some sort of svg -> pdf conversion and then pdf ->
>>swf with the swfc tools. What do you think about that? And (if it's a
>>good idea) is there a svg 2 pdf good tool (maybe without java, the best
>>would be to download it from packages for debian).
>>

>I'm not aware of any "direct" svg2pdf converters. You can save to .ps
>from inkscape, though, and then use ps2pdf.
>OpenOffice can also export pdf, if you manage to import your svg into
>it (there are rumors that an SVG import filter for OO exists).
>
>Greetings
>
>Matthias

Thanks.
But I was hoping to get maximum effort - I have svg graphics that is
15kb. It is literally about 50 lines and about 30 fills. I'm importing
it from svg to pdf (I discovered that possibility in scribus), then to
swf (using pdf2swf tool) and it is 65kb big... For 50 lines it's a big
too much, although it looks really nice. But I wanted to get about
5-10kb swf...

So - maybe another question - what GUI for designing graphics would you
suggest? That wouldn't cause problems with importing...? And is there
any future plan for creating svg2swf tool in swfc?

greetings,
jacek