Re: [Swftools-common] New info -- Was: Problems with avi2swf

From: Amartyo Banerjee
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] New info -- Was: Problems with avi2swf
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 04:46:41 -0800 (PST)

> > > One bit per pixel? Are you converting greyscale video?
> >
> > I don't see how that is possible. I'm pretty sure the webcam does colour.
> > If I use aviplay or
> > mplayer to view the avi created by ffmpeg from the webcam, it is in colour.
> > Similarly, if I
> > convert the frames to ppm images using transcode, they are in colour.
> > When I turn the ppms into jpegs and use jpeg2swf, the result is in colour.
>
> Interesting. Well, avifile reports the bpp as 1, so it's
> especially strange that aviplay (which is based on avifile)
> does color, too.

Could it be that aviplay is not relying on the colour depth reported by the
avifile 'library' (not
sure if thats the correct term here) but is finding the colour depth using its
own function ? I
haven't looked at the code, I'm just making a wild guess.

I am also certain the webcam does colour because I have gnomemeeting installed,
and when I turn it
on the video window is in colour. The same thing happens with the program
camstream.

> Would it be possible for you to create, say, one second of video and
> send it to me in some way? I could open a ftp server somewhere
> for that purpose.
> I'd really love to take a closer look at this format...

Sure, I can do that. Tell me how you would like it sent, and I'll try sending
it.

> You have to generate audio.swf in a way that it has the same
> framerate as video.swf, e.g. like this:
>     wav2swf -r <framerate> audio.wav -o audio.swf
> Where <framerate> is the one reported by "swfdump -r video.swf".
>
> Now the following will bring audio and video together:
>     swfcombine -mT audio.swf video.swf -o combined.swf

Thanks for the info. Now, if nothing else works at least I have one sure way to
convert avi files
to swf, even if it it slightly roundabout :)