sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] "SKS is effectively running as end-of-life software at t

From: robots.txt fan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] "SKS is effectively running as end-of-life software at this point"?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 08:02:26 +0000

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:37 AM, Andrew Gallagher <address@hidden> wrote:
> Because you can reject a key, but then what happens is it just keeps trying
> to come back. Pretty soon there are so many rejected keys floating around
> that the network stops reconciling. Also, what happens if I reject certain
> keys and you don’t, but your only connection to the rest of the network is
> through me? Once nodes start implementing different policies you can go
> split-brain surprisingly easily.

I shouldn't have written "reject". If you already have this key in your
blacklist, just tell the other keyserver that you already have it, but do not
store it. Store only the hash.

Of course it might still be possible to code information into the hashes like
Tobias wrote, but at least generating exactly the right hash is extremely
expensive (if not impossible) from the attacker's perspective so I do not think
it is feasible for them at all. Storing hashes of kryptonite should be okay.

> It’s not a simple matter of just coding it up.

Of course not, and I wouldn't dare claiming that. I agree with Martin in that I
also am glad to see that there is a will to invest time in developing a new
server. The Synchronising Key Servers should not vanish from earth.