sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Tor hidden service - what's the rationale?

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Tor hidden service - what's the rationale?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 01:23:31 +0100

On Sat, 2015-11-14 at 01:15 +0100, Hendrik Grewe wrote:
> I would imagine not leaving the tor network through an exit is the
> benefit.
And what should be the benefit of that?
If tor works right, there is none, if it doesn't there wouldn't be any
either, when you "not leave it" when you hit the hidden service.

> Why does facebook run a Hidden Service [0]?
Wild guess: Marketing & hype

Why do google/Yahoo/MS/whatsapp, etc. propagate their "cool" crypto
stuff, which is actually useless in the end?
People feel good.

> There where some thoughts one could create a profile by just looking
> at
> the metadata (from keyserver operator or eavesdropper on the line)
> while
> key-refresh request from a given peer. Thats why tools like
> parcimonie
> [1a/b] where developed. Those use  a new circuit for every single
> key-refresh.
I think there's a lot difference  between that, which works on the
client side, and what we'd need on the server side.
We share all keys, and every single update... this hughe pile of data
flow possibly makes it way easier for an attacker... than the few 100
or perhaps 1000 keys a normal user may have.

Cheers,
Chris.