sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com downtime for upgrade

From: David Benfell
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com downtime for upgrade
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:11:14 -0800

Hi all,

I'm moving nearly all of my web services, including sks, to a new,
more powerful system, hoping to improve performance. IPv4 addresses
will remain the same, including 50.250.218.167 for
sks.disunitedstates.com. IPv6, however, gets a new tunnel, which means
*those* addresses, including sks.disunitedstates.com, will change.
Presently, sks.disunitedstates.com is at 2001:470:67:119::9; it will
move to 2001:470:67:2b5::9.

My next move will be to set up proxies from the old IPv6 addresses to
the new IPv6 addresses. If I get all this right, downtime will be
minimal, confined mostly to rebuilding the sks database and loading my
other databases into mysql on the new server. As you might have
gathered, there are a number of moving pieces here, and surely, I'll
get some of them wrong.

Mail is *not* moving; disturbances there should be confined to when
both servers go down to be restarted with new configurations.

The switch should happen later tonight (Thursday night/early Friday,
UTC-8). I'll advise when I'm theoretically back up.

--
David Benfell <address@hidden>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the