sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 1.1.5 is in wheezy-backports

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 1.1.5 is in wheezy-backports
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 14:32:04 -0400

On 06/05/2014 07:44 AM, Karl Schmitz wrote:
> IMHO, the account check is a bit exaggerated, isn't it? The
> administrator should be free to alter debian-sks's home.

Well, the maintainer scripts and general defaults all assume that
/var/lib/sks is where the data will be stored.  If the packaging accepts
that the homedir is someplace else, but the data might be in yet another
place (which the maintainer scripts don't know anything about), that
could be a problem, and the maintainer scripts don't want to blunder
ahead if they aren't sure what's happened.

One thing you can do to keep stuff "pretty" while accomodating
filesystem space is to bind-mount /srv/sks to /var/lib/sks and leave
everything else alone.

this would mean adding the following to your /etc/fstab (*after* /var
and /srv are mounted):

   /srv/sks /var/lib/sks none bind

This way, you don't have to worry about any symlink weirdness.

> Also, checking free space on /var before taking the backup would be nice
> (possibly with an option to specify an alternate backup directory).
> The backup almost filled up my root file system.

yep, this is https://bugs.debian.org/678924 -- sorry about that, we're
hoping to address that in a new revision soon.

> Besides these minor issues: well done! My server is running SKS 1.1.5 now.

glad it worked for you, and thanks for the reportback.

Regards,

        --dkg