sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] How to purge excess log files?

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] How to purge excess log files?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 02:46:41 -0500

Brian D Heaton wrote:

> On 7/12/2012 10:08 PM, David Benfell wrote:
>> On 07/12/12 00:36, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>>
>>> FYI; The current trunk has a pull request at the moment where KDB
>>> and PTree is set up with DB_CONFIG files if they are found in the
>>> basedir (DB_CONFIG.[KDB|PTree] taking preference over DB_CONFIG for
>>> each respectively). So this will be part of the next release.
>>> Should hopefully make this process a bit smoother :)
>>
>> If I'm reading this right, DB_CONFIG should be in *both* places? Is
>> that right?
>>
> Yes, it should be in both places.
>
> -Brian

As the designer of this one, maybe I can clarify. When [fast]build goes to
create teh KDB, after it creates the directory, it looks in the base directory
above the Key and PTree directories for BDB tuning files, DB_CONFIG.
Build first looks for a file named DB_CONFIG.KDB and if it's found copies it
to ${dbdir}/DB_CONFIG. as its name implies it is to be used for that
directory. If it doesn't find that specific name it looks for the more generic
DB_CONFIG and copies it if present.
The same scheme works in pbuild with DB_CONFIG.PTree taking precedence over a
generically named DB_CONFIG.

This is done immediately following the directory creat. BDB will read a
DB_CONFIG file if present and use it to set up the environment

After many years, I'll warn what I always have, Berkeley DB tuning is still
somewhat of a black art, much like tuning the VAX VMS operation system.
There a lot that can be set, a bit of it will help, most of it won't do
anything, some of it can really slow things down. I imagine we'll see a good
amount of BDB tuning discussion on the list

-Jonn