sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyservers.org downtime

From: Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyservers.org downtime
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:26:47 +0200 (CEST)

> > I respect your opinion but I don't agree. Sorry.
>
> What precisely do you disagree with?

No matter which key server a key I get from.
No matter who operates a key server.
The only important thing if a key is signed by trustworthy peoples or not.

> > _All_ key servers of the pool are absolutely untrustable by definition.
>
> Not true.  For instance, I trust John Clizbe.  If I receive a
> certificate from him, I'm pretty confident that he's not, e.g., logging
> my certificate requests and turning it over to the cops.  You, on the
> other hand, I don't know you, and for all I know you're doing those
> sorts of things.

Oh, I see.

Why do you trust John? (I hope I don't hurt him with this question. :-)
Why do you think peoples trust _you_?
Do all of them known you personally since ten years?
If a user was cautious, (s)he would download thousands more keys (s)he
need or operates an own key server.
Anyway. Why does somebody think no one eavesdrops his/her key requests?

In your special case: you may redirect users to
a trusty key server. (I hope you know at least one beside yours. :-)
If some users trust you as a key server operator, they must
trust your choice of fallback server too.

Cheers

Gabor