sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyservers.org downtime

From: Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyservers.org downtime
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:26:58 +0200 (CEST)

> > Why don't put a CNAME record of keyservers.org pointing to a working
> > server? Most of your users won't notice the difference. :)
>
> Because that's fundamentally dishonest.
>
> Some people use keyservers.org indirectly through
> pool.sks-keyservers.net.  These people genuinely don't care where their
> certificates get served up from: they just care their certificates get
> served.
>
> Some people use keyservers.org directly by specifying it at the command
> line.  Not necessarily because they trust me, mind you -- it's just as
> likely that they use keyservers.org directly because they want to know
> who it is that's running their keyserver, and they don't want to accept
> a certificate served up by someone completely anonymous.  Many of these

Dear Robert,

I respect your opinion but I don't agree. Sorry.

_All_ key servers of the pool are absolutely untrustable by definition.
I must laugh at users who do not follow the cryptographic protocols
but trust the "phone book" writable by anybody. Even a given key server
is operated by Mother Teresa it is fulfilled with fake keys.

Regards

Gabor