sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:11:51 -0400

On 10/15/2011 7:51 AM, John Clizbe wrote:
> I still think we have a ways to go to make SKS portable to more operating
> systems -- I think MacPorts provides the better framework than Fink to do this
> on OS X.

I belong to the "a pox on both their houses!" school myself, when
choosing between Fink and MacPorts.  I have generally had better
experiences with Fink, but both projects seem to be alarmingly
incomplete in fundamental ways.

> Cygwin port anyone? Ocaml and bdb are already there :-)

What might be interesting is to port it to F#.  F# is a heavily
Ocaml-influenced functional language from Microsoft that runs atop the
.NET runtime.  A port would be nontrivial, but would allow us to run the
same codebase on Win32, OS X, and most of the free Unices.

> As well as ideas as to what type of sample web pages to to include. I also
> think
> if we are going to go that far, we shuld also provide sample membership,
> mailsync, sksconf, DB-CONFIG for both KDB and PTree.

As an FYI, I'm currently looking around to find *good, competent* Web
designers.  (I've found several designers I don't want to work with.
Alas, competency and graphic design skill are hard to find in the same
person.)  My goal is to hire them to design good-looking web pages for
SKS, with all styling done by CSS to make future editing easier.  (And
yes, I'm aware of the SKS webserver's limitations: those, too, are part
of the spec.)

If anyone knows of *good, competent* Web designers who would like a
small paying gig that's only a few pages long, send them my way, please.