sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.cns.vt.edu updates

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.cns.vt.edu updates
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 02:42:39 -0400

On 10/14/2011 1:39 AM, oakwhiz wrote:
> In my opinion, you're better off with a self-signed certificate,
> because you cannot trust the certificate authorities not to sign a
> fake certificate for use in a man-in-the-middle attack.

Although there are certainly some unreliable CAs (Diginotar as an
obvious example), I think it's a leap to go from that to saying there
exist *no* reliable CAs.

> Isn't this the point of using the OpenPGP trust model instead of the
> flawed X.509 trust model?

OpenPGP and X.509's trust models are essentially interchangeable.  They
work in fundamentally the same way, to the point where the commercial
version of PGP lets you use OpenPGP certs as X.509 certs and vice-versa.