sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:07:22 -0400

On 2010-09-08 at 11:56 -0600, Ryan wrote:
> Weather or not its in the database, if the user causing these issues
> cant retrieve that info from Peter's server I would think that would
> satisfy him enough to prevent a legal injunction against Peter and his
> key server.

No.  EU data protection laws typically (eg, in Britain) state that data
about a person belongs to that person and if you hold the data, you're
required to provide it upon reasonable request to that person (charging
a small processing fee is allowed) and IIRC you're required to delete it
if it's inaccurate.

Holding onto the data but not serving it is a violation of a takedown
notice and something that should only be considered after discussion
with expensive lawyers.

Peter has my sympathy for the situation he's in.

-Phil