sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Installing a new SKS server

From: Ron Peterson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Installing a new SKS server
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:09:14 -0400

2007-08-13_14:44:34-0400 Chris Kuethe <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Ron Peterson wrote:

> > > Monthly keydumps sound like a good use for torrents.
> >
> > I like that idea.  I don't mind setting one up, but I've got to get
> > through the end of summer crunch first.
>
> It occurs to me that this may not work as well as one might like.
> Everybody's keydump is going to be slightly different based on
> what order keys were loaded, last update time, where a given update
> was injected into the net ... to me that suggest that we'll have
> 40 servops all downloading a torrent they don't really need.

I'm willing to post a somewhat current keydump from time to time that
people can download if they like.  If folks want to subscribe to
multiple almost identical torrents, that's their problem, not mine... ;)

> At least for users at other academic institutions, it makes sense
> to have a dump available via FTP - this may suffer less a the hands
> of the traffic shapers that are getting so common these days.

True.  I don't think it's an either/or situation, though.  Why penalize
organizations that aren't so coercive?

> If others would see value in this, I'm willing to schedule a weekly
> or monthly dump and leave it open for all interested parties...

Let's do both!

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager