sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Several questions.

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Several questions.
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 06:57:35 -0500 (EST)

Dinko Korunic said:
> Hi. I believe I've successfuly setup a new SKS server, but through
> monitoring it I've come across these messages:
>
> 2004-03-19 00:20:05 Error fetching key from hash
> 5FE5E79695DF5FA4D3EE635EA233C920: Not_found

Messages like this can be normal.  Here's an example.  A and B are
reconciling, and A has some key k, and B has a key k' which is an updated
version of k.   When A and B reconcile, A will discover it's missing k',
and B will decide it's missing k.  Each will request the other's key.
Let's say  A goes first.  A will add k' to it's repository, which will
cause k to be replaced.  By the time B asks for k, it won't be there
anymore.

> I've sorted out logs and checked for duplicates - and there was only 1
> (appeared two times in a row and then dissapeared). Are these caused by
> reconcilliation proces?
>
> Next question is regarding the "build" (not fastbuild). I've chosen to
> build initial SKS KDB via regular, slow build. I've expected it (I
> haven't seen real detailed documentation on these, unfortunately) it
> collect keys from dump/*pgp as fastbuild does - but instead it made
> initial KDB (empty DB4 databases) so I had to sks merge dump/*pgp
> afterwards and then sks pbuild. Is that normal and expected?

This is not normal.  You need to explicitly include the keydump files on
the command line, not just the directory that includes them.

> Last question is about the daily histograms - is there any way to get it
> in cleartext? I don't have problems fetching it from X-HKP via op=stats,
> but I'd rather have it locally and preferably stacked into different
> files (or appended to a single file). I'd like to plot the values
> into the day/month/year key statistics.

Not at present, but it should be fairly easy to parse out of the HTML, no?