[Savannah-dev] Re: name test

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: name test
Date: 13 Jan 2003 13:28:22 +0100

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:57:24AM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > I was talking about the test made during the project registration step
> > on the project name (is there open within etc).
>
> Ah, now I get it.
> The problem appeared when I did a minor change to www/register/projectname.php
> The change was to take the text that appear before the projectname field
> and move it from the php script into a file
> savannah-content/register/projectname.txt
>
> By doing so, I got an error saying that there were some extra text that should
> not appear before the "Location:" http header defined in line 71. This is
> strange because the util_get_content("register/projectname") function that
> I introduced only appears after that line. Besides, util_get_content
> is suppose to just print some text, which is what was already doing the
> previous version of projectname.php
>
> To fix the problem I copied the old version of projectname.php back into
> Savannah (the one you had committed before I did any change) and I still got
> the same error in savannah.gnu.org, but the same script worked fine in
> savannah.nongnu.org. It is hard to check what's the extra text that is
> being sent before the header.
>
> In any case, I think that it would be much simpler to replace that php code in
> savannah-content/register/projectname_test.txt and the redirectioning to the
> same page (the "Location:" header) in www/register/projectname.php, by a text
> message in savannah-content/register/projectname.txt asking all users to
> avoid using "open" as in "Open Source".
>
> The open-in-name test seems to me unnecessary because it does not impose any
> restrictions but rather gives some suggestion, which can be done more easily
> with a simple html paragraph.

In fact, there's already a simple paragraph.

I added this feature according to the following request:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2002-08/msg00192.html

But finally, I agree, it's surely better to avoid unrequired
complication by such test and add this directly the text without
doing any test.

--
Mathieu Roy