[Savannah-dev] bug tracking system for Savannah

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: [Savannah-dev] bug tracking system for Savannah
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:18:40 +0100

Hi,

Bug tracking system is a major tool of web hosting systems. SF folks
have chosen to develop theirs. Loic and I discussed that choice a lot in
the past. I think we agreed that it is a bad approach. Our "job" should
be to integrate different maintained software (just as we do with
Mailman).

Thus, I've been looking for some solutions for Savannah. I think that
Bugzilla or GNATS are a little overfeatured for our offer and seem very
complex to integrate.  After a discussion with Igor Genibel, I've looked
at Mantis which looked like a good candidate.  Here is the project
description :

'Mantis is a PHP/MySQL based bugtracking system. It is extremely easy to
deploy and customize. It supports multiple projects, email notification,
and is localized for English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, Korean,
Italian, German, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish,
and Portuguese.'

You can find information at http://mantisbt.sourceforge.net/

As you surely see, it seems to fit our needs. We now need to evaluate
what we'll need to modify for integration and upstream's motivation to
integrate our patches and help us.

But before this step, I'd like to know everyone agrees with the
statements I made. There you go ..

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

        Debian - What your mom would use if it were twenty times easier.
                            http://www.copyleft.net/