Re: [Savannah-dev] Database design comments

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Database design comments
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:09:11 +0200

Guillaume Morin writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Current implementation of savannah uses a database that I will use as a
 > base for the mailing lists implementation.
 >
 > One of the features implemented only on Savannah is the is_gnu thing. It
 > allows to gather projects in two different type. I think it is a good
 > approach. But the new implementation should use a better scheme. All
 > projects will have a new field that will refer to a table that will
 > contain personnal paramaters for each type e.g its mailing list
 > domain.
 >
 > for example the type table could look like this :
 > (the data match current savannah configuration)
 >
 > type table :

 > | Id | Name   | ML domain               |
 > | 1 | gnu    | gnu.org                  |
 > | 2 | non_gnu| mail.freesofware.fsf.org |
 >
 > GRUB would have its type field set to 1 and
 > NSS-MySQL would have its set to 2.
 >
 > As usual, if you do not agree with that, speak out now :-)

        Hi,

        The multi-domain related problems are very familiar to Cyril
Bouthors (address@hidden), he may be able to comment more.

        Since the new facility will be implemented on the basis of
phpGroupWare, we will use the methodology they implement for multi-domain:
a separate database for each domain name.

        In other words, gnu.org and freesoftware.fsf.org will be two
different databases, using the same backend scripts. In fact they could
even be implemented on different machines.

        This differs noticeably from the current setup (hack ?-) that
mixes the two. If we want to generalize the ability for a single
database to handle multi-domains, I think we will face numerous
problems. First because it's a choice different from the choice of
phpGroupWare and also because very few applications (let alone the
phpGroupWare applications) implement a multi-domain setup.

        I think the phpGroupWare design choice is ok. Do you see any
problems with that ?

        Cheers,

P.S. FYI the map of domains -> database is located in the phpGroupWare
header/parameter file.