How to save Outlook mailbox ?

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: How to save Outlook mailbox ?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 11:23:50 -0500

Hello,

I'm using rdiff-backup on Windows 10 and I want to use it to backup the
".ost" files containing the Outlook mailbox. To my understanding Outlook is
locking these files exclusively and that prevents rdiff-backup to copy the
file seamlessly. In fact, when rdiff-backup tries to backup these files a
simple "Permissions Error" is raised.

One way I know it's possible to copy the file is using the VSS (Volume
Shadow Copy Service) to create a snapshot and then access the file data in
that snapshot. The process is deadious and requires Admin privilege which
is not always available.

So what is your experience with these kinds of files ? Do you know other
ways to backup locked Outlook files ?

I'm looking toward an automated script using VisualBasic script to export
the data maybe ?

--
IKUS Software
https://www.ikus-soft.com/