qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 07333e1ca (kbd-state: use state tracker for sdl2) break

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 07333e1ca (kbd-state: use state tracker for sdl2) breaks keyboard input
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:15:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 05:41:22PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
Hello,

The commit 07333e1ca breaks keyboard input in bios console with SDL2 UI. To
reproduce: start qemu-system-i386 without any options, press Ctrl-B when
prompted to get an IPXE command line and type. Key presses are doubled.

This isn't related to the IPXE BIOS - it is broken in general in fact.

Yes I probably did not make it clear but the IPXE prompt was just an easy way to reproduce and show it. In fact I've found this with other guest and I meant to report the general problem. Sorry if this caused confusion.

(Besides this the output window mixup when something is output to serial
window I've reported earlier is still present. I'd appreciate if these could
be fixed now that the working SDL1 alternative was completely removed.)

AFAIR, we determined there was something related to the nvidia binary
only drivers that was breaking this and needed to know if using nouveau
drivers would fix it.

I'm not sure. All I know that both me and Howard who had the same issue were seeing it with nvidia binary driver but not sure if it was reproduced with other drivers. I've first reported this almost a year ago in last March and the last time we discused it again we've found it could also be reproduced with pc and mac99 emulation:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg05112.html

Can you try this sith SDL2 UI and confirm you don't see a problem:

1. start qemu-system-i386 -M graphics=off -S
2. Press Ctrl-Alt-2 to open console window
3. Press Ctrl-Alt-3 to open serial window
4. type continue in console window to start guest and wait until output appears in serial window 5. now close serial window and then try to open it with Ctrl-Alt-3 again, for me an empty window is opening at this point 6. type in the console window, the content that should be in serial window flashes in the console window on every keypress here

In case that's relevant I'm using Window Maker window manager and also see that app icon is not displayed correctly and stays around after QEMU is closed. This is usually a sign of not correctly setting X window class and/or window group leader hints. This wasn't a problem with SDL1 UI. The sdl2 version that comes with my distro is 2.0.9 in case that matters.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan