qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor and serial output window broken with SDL2

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor and serial output window broken with SDL2
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:58:39 +0000

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 10:57:14PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> > > I still have this problem after updating everything on my machine, latest
> > > QEMU and SDL 2.0.9 so it's not likely to be a bug in some external
> > > component. If I just start qemu-system-ppc (compiled with --disable-gtk)
> > > and
> > > try to open monitor console with Ctrl-Alt-2 I see QEMU monitor but when I
> > > type in this window the serial output window contents flash in this
> > > window.
> > > At the same time the window that opens for Ctrl-Alt-3 which should have
> > > the
> > > serial output is empty. It looks like an index may be off somewhere or
> > > window contents are not associated with the right window but I have no
> > > idea
> > > where to look for it. Can you reproduce it now and do you have any idea
> > > what
> > > could cause this?
> >
> > Could you share an example command line which can be used to reproduce
> > the problem.
>
> As I wrote above ust "qemu-system-ppc" without any options reproduces the
> problem here.

I don't have any luck reproducing the behaviour you describe.

Built todays git master with

  ./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu,ppc-softmmu --disable-gtk

then ./ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -sdl

pops up the main SDL window with primary VGA showing firmware output.

I can then Ctrl-Alt-2 to popup monitor console, and Ctrl-Alt-3/4 to
popup serial & parallel console.  The serial console has  some input
in it, and the monitor console responds normally without affecting
any other windows.

Can you provide further information about your host architecture, and
your host OS distro, and whether you gave any other special options
to configure or qemu-system-ppc

The only annoyance is that the serial & parallel console windows get
placed directly on top of the monitor console window instead of letting
the window manager place them in a sensible place.

Regards,
Daniel