parallel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel ver

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel versions
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 01:58:14 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Groom, George <George_Groom@comcast.com> wrote:

> Actual output from my 2 HP systems are below.  Note execution time
> differences between later and older kernels.

Are you saying you are comparing two completely different systems (one
of the of the differences being the kernel version) and you then
conclude that it must be due to the kernel version?

It could just as well be due to different cache layout in the CPUs or
some other variable. Or that the top speed of the cores on one system
is different.

To minimize the variables please test again, but do it on the same
system with the only difference being the version of the kernel. So
boot the system with kernel A, do the test, then boot with kernel B
and to exactly the same test.

/Ole