paperclips-discuss

[Paperclips-discuss] Removal of PURLH

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Paperclips-discuss] Removal of PURLH
Date: 27 Feb 2002 02:35:14 +0000

The time has come to say goodbye to this idea.

It worked well for it's time.... but adapting it to new versions of
the JDK and the hosting environment has proved too difficult (that
was always the disadvantage of PURLH - it was too complex).

The new system still involves changing the URLStreamHandler, but now
we're using the GNU-Classpath stream handler for the "file"
protocol. I'll be checking the changes I've made to the Classpath
code back into Classpath but the stream handler will also live in the
Paperclips CVS.

There will be some minor changes to the way this works (re-ordering of
WebApp and FileServer cons param lists)  but this is substantially it
now for resource handling until JNDI comes along.

I do still have to get Paperclips working with closed (ie: not
unpacked) WAR files. That might be tricky, we might have to pull the
same trick as other servlet containers, namely: secretly unpack the
WAR file.

Nic