paperclips-discuss

Re: [Paperclips-discuss] HEAD, was: API_23_ALPHA_2_1

From: Christopher K. St. John
Subject: Re: [Paperclips-discuss] HEAD, was: API_23_ALPHA_2_1
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:09:43 -0500

Nic Ferrier wrote:

> The init for the file serving is done by:
>
>   gnu.paperclips.boot.WebAppInitializer

 Right, but in the API_23_ALPHA_2_1 version of webappd,
WebAppInitializer is never called when webappd is given
only a --docroot. That release looks to be broken, but
I've moved up to HEAD, so I'm not going to worry about
it :-)

 Speaking of which:

 1) WWW.java: doGet():

     target.connect();
     if(!target.getContentType().equals("text/directorylisting"))

    public String URLConnection.getContentType()
      Returns:
            the content type of the resource that the URL
            references, or null if not known.

    the 'null if not know' part is the problem, it means
    that paperclips won't serve .tgz for instance. (I have a
    really big tarball I was using to test download speed on
    NbioServer, so I decided to try it out on paperclips...)

    Easy enough to fix, but is that code scheduled for a
    rewrite? Is it worth cleaning it up?

 2) Using httperf[1] hangs things pretty quickly: the response
    times gradually increase until everything appears to stop.
    httperf (and apache's ab) are both pretty ugly with what
    they send over the network, but hanging is probably not
    ok. (It came up because I was using httperf for testing
    NbioServer, so I decided to try it out on paperclips ...)

 Should I be using the savannah bug tracking stuff? I didn't
see a link from the paperclips page and I assumed it wasn't
turned on.

[1] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/David_Mosberger/httperf.html

--
Christopher St. John address@hidden