paperclips-discuss

Re: [Paperclips-discuss] API_23_ALPHA_2_1

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Paperclips-discuss] API_23_ALPHA_2_1
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:46:27 +0100

>>> "Christopher K. St. John" <address@hidden> 25-Jun-01
3:47:47 AM >>>

   Ok, none of the previous bugs look to be fatal, but
   I'm still having a hard time getting anything running
   with API_23_ALPHA_2_1. I've pointed the classpath
   directly at the .class files instead of the .jar that comes
   with the download, and I'm running:

   $ java gnu.paperclips.boot.webappd

   with a number of different combinations of params. I
   can't figure out a way to get things to load from a
   non-war'ed up web app.

   Is there a way?

Yes.

   Am I missing something?

Possibly two things:

1. there's a bug in WebService which means that you have to use the
host name of your machine rather than the alias to connect to the
server. I haven't fixed this yet because WebService will change
completly.

2. when you start Paperclips it needs a docroot for the root context,
you can specify it like this:

   java -jar paperclips.jar --docroot /var/htdocs

If you specify the docroot as a war file it will be treated as one
(Paperclips will parse the DD) but if you just specify any old dir
Paperclips will just load the webserver servlet and the jsp servlet
(if it can find the jsp servlet).

If you don't specify a docroot then Paperclips tries some defaults.

   I've hacked around a little, and might have managed to mess
   things up, but it looks like a LoaderFactory is required, but
   there's just the WARLoaderFactory? I'm very unsure about what's
   going on, any help appreciated, etc, etc.

A LoaderFactory is required to start the Service. WARLoaderFactory is
the only loader factory available right now.

Paperclips Service's will probably work completly on factory
creations because this is the easiest way to handle the DD situation
and provide some flexibiliy.

I'm not sure whether we should just have a PaperclipsFactory with
lots of methods:

  createLoader()
  openConnection()

etc... or whether seperate factories are the best idea.

If that doesn't get you working please let us know!

Nic