pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Download of DAMAGED incompletes....

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Download of DAMAGED incompletes....
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:02:06 -0700

Alberto BARSELLA posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:16:04 +0100:

> Ok, let's see if I have understood everyhing correctly.
>
>>Anyway, what you do is this.  Instead of hitting save attachment directly
>>from the overview and letting it download and auto-save, just hit
>>download, not save.  With multi-parts, you WILL need to expand them so you
>>can select all the parts, when telling it to d/l, or it will only get the
>>first part of each multi-part.
>
> I've selected not to collapse complete multi-parts in order to expand
> the thread, but it looks like it's not important to select all
> sub-parts, if I select the thread and hit "download" it says it's
> downloading everything.  There's some complaining about articles not
> found, and it has stopped in mid-download, with only some stuff in the
> cache.  Is there a limit to the number of errors before it stops
> completely?  I've tried to select all parts manually and it looks
> like it's doing the same thing.

Hmm..  Maybe that's new..  or maybe it's different somehow there..  Here,
I've had it d/l only the first part, and then when I go back to process it
later expecting it all to be d/led, it has to go back out and get the
rest, which is a bother when it's a big item..  But I don't do it that
often, so..

Maybe it's the select method I use.. select-all, or first-shift-last, then
hist the d/l function.  If parts aren't expanded, it only selects the
first part (naturally, since the others are folded in and hidden) and only
d/ls the first part.  If they are, of course it selects them too as part
of the range, and d/ls them along with everything else.

Or maybe it's the d/l method I use.  I don't bother with the flagged, as
that would mean unflagging and reflagging the next set for multiple d/ls
so the second one didn't include the first one as well and cause multiple
connections to be opened trying to get the same part!  Thus, I just use
the d/l, not d/l flagged, and have assigned the d/l button a customized
hotkey for that purpose.  (F1, here, as ez to find by touch, and since PAN
doesn't have a useful help file to bring up with that key.)

Benjamin Franklin