Re: [Linphone-developers] bug tracker

From: Test Sv
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] bug tracker
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:34:25 -0800

There is an email from Andrey Utkin that raised a very important issue, and
reminded me with many actual situations that I have seen, or came across. He
said " I asked for SAVPF support, I was replied off-list with the proposition
to discuss commercial issues with Belledonne".

The issue is: there are now too many software packages that have dual license
arrangements. The free open source code agreement, and the commercial
agreement. Linphone is one of those software. Based on my experience, the dual
license agreements have most (if not all) of the following main characteristics:

    - there is an official company/business behind the software;

   - the free open source version of the software is mainly used as a marketing
tool for the commercial version of the software;

   - users and developers using the free open source version of the software
are used like free labour to debug/test the software and report the bugs to the
company. The bugs reported are used to improve the commercial version of the
software without the cost of the labour that into debuging the sofwtare. This
is mostly the main reason they do not respond to the bug reports made by the
free open source code community;

   - in many cases, the impoved (with less bugs) commercial version of the
software does not make to the open source version, or it will take a long time
to make it;

   - some free open source code projects encourage and tell developers how to
re-brand their software. One project inparticular that comes to my mind is
CSipSimple. This will cover the neccessary main legal issue about starting a
new project. The CSipSimple project is a good software, but it has a very
difficult GUI that only experts can use. It requires a major a overhaul to the
set-up GUI to make easy for a child to set up the sowafft;

   - the companies behind the software usually say that they do not have the
time to respond to the free open source code community because they do not pay
anything. There was an email from a member of developing team just arrived
before sending my email with the same message!. However, this is completely
untrue. The open source community pays for the service by offering free labour,
tiime and effort to improve the software, and which the company is using to
improve the software and make money on it;

   - the source codes for those software with dual license agreements are
written in such way to make it almost impossible to re-brand the software. This
comment applies to the source code of linphone;

   -companies usually have carefully selected people that they can say that
they are not officially working with the company, but they wil defend the
company points of views and pratice in any discussions on the internet;

   - there is absolutely nothing illegal about having the dual license
agreements, and every company and/or person has the complete right to use it.

   - finally, having another fork/project for the software will not solve the
problems, because everything will be still legally owned by the company and
under it's control.

Likely, other developers/users might have or think of other technical and legal
issues that the community needs to think about?.

Regards;