Re: LP-set songbook released

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: LP-set songbook released
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 22:42:00 +0100

On 28/04/2019 21:34, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> On 4/27/19 4:59 AM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
>> A very creditable production.  Don't worry about the letter/A4 issue,
>> it printed out perfectly on my A4 system.  There is one problem
>> though, the tempo marks have all printed as odd line shapes: steps,
>> symbols like pi or just vertical bars.  The display in Firefox is
>> correct however.
>
> That’s really interesting!  This was done with LP 2.18.2, with no
> special modifications to the defaults; the tempi are just things like:
>
>     \tempo 2. = 60
>
> What software are you using that shows problems?  The MediaWiki
> thumbnails (made with ImageMagick, I believe) came out fine, and Atril
> and Evince show it fine.  I have not tested the output in Adobe Reader
> or Okular.
>
> ~Chris

I just went to http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Shower_Chanteys in
Firefox 60.6esr then on the second line clicked on "download the
songbook" which took me to
http://music.maden.org/images/7/72/Shower_Chanteys.pdf.  I then selected
print and let the system sort itself out.  I have seen a similar problem
over fonts with FF before though, it displays perfectly, then somewhere
in a long printout gets itself in a mess.

If, on the other hand, I explicitly download the PDF to my machine, then
Evince Document Viewer 3.28.2 is called up and both display and printing
work perfectly.

If I can answer your PM to me here: unfortunately I can't show you a
recording, it is the way I learnt it in the 1970s.  I remember seeing
text about the mode shift and asking a teacher at school.  My father
seemed to think I had it right, and he was ex RN for his National Service.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS