Re: LP-set songbook released

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: LP-set songbook released
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 09:59:35 +0100

A very creditable production.  Don't worry about the letter/A4 issue, it
printed out perfectly on my A4 system.  There is one problem though, the
tempo marks have all printed as odd line shapes: steps, symbols like pi
or just vertical bars.  The display in Firefox is correct however.

It was interesting to see some old favourites wearing new clothes, in
particular Spanish Ladies (which I learnt in the 1960s).  Of course in
the version I know the orders are to sail for "Old England", likewise we
rant and roar like "true British sailors"!  In your write-up to it you
mention about key differences.  The way I learnt it the verses are in a
minor key but it switches to the major for the chorus.  However since
the notes remain the same the piece appears to wistfully return to the
minor in the last couple of words ("From Ushant to Scilly 'tis
thirty-five leagues" in the UK version), which gives the impression of
longing for the voyage to be over.

Finally, I don't know if the works of Arthur Ransome are as well known
in the States as in the UK (though now, I fear, somewhat less known as
they getting rather dated).  Spanish Ladies is quoted at length in
'Peter Duck'.

Regards,
Martin

--