Re: Open glissando

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Open glissando
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 21:14:45 +0200

Am Do., 11. Apr. 2019 um 07:07 Uhr schrieb Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 10:47:14PM +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
>
> > Part of the problem is Glissando needs NoteHeads at start/end to go
> > from one pitch to another.
> > Thus a glissando is not possible from a note-event (or rest) to a rest.
> >
> > This is quite reasonable at first thought, though I think it should be
> > possible to draw a glissando bounded by _pitched_ rests.
> > Why not?
>
> Another aspect is that you may want to just instruct the player to
> do a glissando up or down to unspecified pitch for the time it is
> otherwise represented as rests

Well, there are different things.
To draw a glissando-line you need to tell LilyPond were to start and
where to end, this can't be unspecified.
The performer of said glissando may be told to do a glissando to an
unspecified pitch if no pitch is visible.

> (with glissando sign possibly
> overlapping the rests)

There are already possibilities to tweak appearance or even to skip a
note-column or rest

\version "2.19.82"

{
e'2\glissando e''
\once \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = -10
e'2\glissando e''
e'2\glissando
\override NoteColumn.glissando-skip = ##t
\revert NoteColumn.glissando-skip
e''

  Harm