stack smashing detected

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: stack smashing detected
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:14:41 +0200

Hi all,

the following code

\version "2.21.0"
{
  \override Slur.control-points = #'((1 . 0) (2 . 3) (3 . 4) (4 . 3) (5 . 0))
  b1( b)
}

stored in metaspline-tests-01.ly, returns:

GNU LilyPond 2.21.0
Processing `metaspline-tests-01.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

Obviously more control-points than usual are provided.
Though I've never seen such a message.
Any insights?
gdb-output attached.

Background: I'm exploring whether it would be feasable to draw higher
order bezier-curves, splitting them in cubic ones.
I've already a basic stencil-procedure doing so. I'd like to call the
provided 'control-points from inside it and if 4 found use the default
stencil-procedure  otherwise use the other.

An image attached with a 7th order bezier, where I provide the
control-points directly to the stencil-procedure not going for the
'control-points grob-property.

I'm aware Urs already did some work in this regard, though his
approach was different, iirc.

Thanks,
  Harm